Terraza

Terraza
Terraza y Alberca

Monday, October 6, 2014

Ground breaking at construction site and beginning of Blog

Finally breaking ground on the construction of what will be the house I retire to in about 10 years (hopefully won't take that long to build). It is an ambitious project designed by me with some future plans for it. I will be posting progress the best I can. I should mention that I am having the house built while I myself still work in the U.S. I am an engineer and have extensive knowledge of concrete construction. Building in the Yucatan(or most of México) is quite different than in the U.S. Most structures there are built with CMU and poured concrete. They are sturdy and made to last. The one predominant technique in the southern states is a composite of plank and beams called "Vigueta y Bovedilla", it is a speedy and economical style suited for places where there is little or no risk of lateral movement such as those caused by earthquakes. My house is designed this way. I have a generous budget for this house but it is my goal to see just how much house I can get for my hard earned dollars. The house as designed would easily run well over 1M in the U.S (Depending where in the US it could even be more). I already own a house and other properties in the city of Mérida and make regular visits to the peninsula. I am quite familiar with material pricing and the labor market. I will be sharing my experiences as the project develops. Feel free to comment and ask questions I will respond the best I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment