Terraza

Terraza
Terraza y Alberca

Monday, October 13, 2014

Rebar Column cages

Rebar column cages full height to second floor. A word about rebar use in Mérida. Having worked with rebar for the last 30 years I can eyeball if a footing, column or beam is over or under required design. When I first came to Mérida I would stop at construction sites and observe how they did things. I would take note of the column or beam cages and their span then I would go home and run calculations on them. I found out that in many cases they run extremely close to the lowest tolerance and sometimes deficient per ACI (American Concrete Institute) code standards. I knew that I would be building one day so I figured is best if I understand their methodology. What we have to know about reinforcing is that "more" is not necessarily better. The key is the placement of the steel where is needed and often if you place it correctly you need less. When we get to pouring beams in place I will be sharing rebar calculations to show how I came up with the right steel distribution.
Poured in place concrete piers. As you can see in the picture to the left there is a "castillo" cage extending from the footing. Ideally this would have been poured monolithic with the foundation but since it is a mamposteria footings that is not the case. the mamposteria is stopped at each side of the pier and because it is a stone wall it is a very irregular surface which provides adequate bonding to the concrete.
There will be a leveling beam (cadena de cimentacion) placed on top of each of these footings. This is a wire reinforced beam which only purpose is to provide a level starting point for the CMU (Concrete Masonry Unit) wall. This beam is painted (covered) with a tar like substance which serves as a vapor (moisture) barrier up the wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment